Sunday, August 21, 2011

Night Thoughts


If the Stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore; and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God which had been shown!  But every night come out these envoys of beauty, and light the universe with their admonishing smile.  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


O wild and wondrous midnight,
There is a might in thee
To make the charmed body
Almost like spirit be,
And give it some faint glimpses
Of immortality.
~James Russell Lowell, Midnight

In my age, as in my youth, night brings me many a deep remorse.  I realize that from the cradle up I have been like the rest of the race - never quite sane in the night.  Mark Twain


I cannot walk through the suburbs in the solitude of the night without thinking that the night pleases us because it suppresses idle details, just as our memory does.  Jorge Luis Borges


There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery.  Joseph Conrad


Nothing like a nighttime stroll to give you ideas.  J.K. Rowling

I only wish that I could sleep like I did as a child... all except on Christmas Eve lol